Skip to main content
Tulane Home Tulane Home

Macabre museum

April 20, 2017 1:45 PM
 | 
Photo from Tulane University Archives newwave@tulane.edu
  

 

 

The Tulane Museum of Anatomy displayed specimens like this on the top floor of Richardson Memorial in the early 1900s. The contents of the museum were acquired in 1850, when the university had been appropriated $25,000 by the state to purchase anatomical slides and apparatus. Two faculty members went on a shopping spree in Europe to buy wax copies of musculature preparations in Italy, bones and other osteological specimens, and specimens of skin and eye diseases in France.