Skip to main content
Tulane Home Tulane Home

Walk around

July 26, 2018 3:45 PM
 | 
Paula Burch-Celentano pburch@tulane.edu
  

The Audubon Park Labyrinth is hard to spot if you’re not looking for it. Situated along East Drive between the Tree of Life and Cascade Stables, the Labyrinth was given to the city of New Orleans as a symbol of hope and renewal following the devastation caused by hurricanes Katrina and Rita. A labyrinth is an ancient tool, a walking meditation, and a sacred place for reflection, centering and healing.

 

 

At the entrance is a smaller Labyrinth known as the Classical Seven Circuit, whose design dates to 2000 B.C. The large Labyrinth is a replica from the Chartres Cathedral in Chartres, France, built in 1203 A.D. It has 11 circuits leading to the center.

Benches surround the Labyrinth, each with a special inscription. Dedicated on Easter Sunday in 2006, the Labyrinth was a gift from the Friends of the Labyrinth at Audubon Park.

In front of each bench is a plaque with words of encouragement and optimism.