Skip to main content
Tulane Home Tulane Home

Around the square

November 30, 2017 2:45 PM
 | 
Photo from Tulane University Archives newwave@tulane.edu
  

 

 

A horse and buggy make a turn at Jackson Square Park near the corner of Saint Ann and Chartres streets in the French Quarter, circa 1950. To the left are the Lower Pontalba Apartments, built in the late 1840s. Cars were allowed to drive on the streets surrounding the park until 1971 when construction began on the pedestrian mall that now encircles the square.