Celebrating its 100th anniversary this year, Newcomb Hall, at 1229 Broadway Street on the uptown campus, is the architectural centerpiece of the School of Liberal Arts. Named in honor of the family of Mrs. Josephine Louise Newcomb, the building was designed by New York architect James Gamble Rogers as the new home of Newcomb College.
Constructed from brick and stone in the Italian Renaissance style, the building cost $323,549 in 1918.
The rear entrance faces Newcomb Quad and features both Doric (bottom) and Ionic (top) column styles.
Decorative wrought iron graces the exterior of the buildings first-floor windows.
A tall, arched window extends to three floors on the front entrance facing Broadway.
Today, Newcomb Hall houses classrooms, laboratories and offices for the departments of philosophy, communication, sociology and all foreign languages. A state-of-the-art language laboratory is housed on the fourth floor.